Learn to sift and evaluate resources for accuracy
Joyce Valenza, a nationally acclaimed media specialist and super-librarian has created two systems of evaluation for web sites. You will use her rubrics to evaluate the research you just completed with MeL, Google, and YouTube or SchoolTube.
Click on the image below for the BASIC Click on the image below for the Advanced
system for elementary students CARRDSS system for Advanced students
1. Use the BASIC system rubric for elementary level students, or the CARRDSS system rubric for advanced or secondary students to evaluate a resource you found in Google and in YouTube or SchoolTube. Type your results into your word processing document.
2. Visit the Bogus and hoax web sites linked to below. These are a source of fun and entertainment for many, and a great opportunity to apply your evaluation skills.
3. Use one of the Evaluation Rubrics to substantiate why these three sites are hoax or bogus. Include this evaluation in your word processing document.
After you have completed all the steps in the module it is time for your final assignment. Click here to go to your Searching Safely and Strategically assignment.
Addressing the ISTE Standards•T:
- Facilitate and Inspire Student Learning and Creativity a,b;
- Design and Develop Digital Age Learning Experiences and Assessments a;
- Model Digital Age Work and Learning a;
- Promote and Model Digital Citizenship and Responsibility b;
- Engage in Professional Growth and Leadership c
- Generating & Testing Hypotheses;
- Cues, Questions, Advance Organizers;
- Homework and Practice;
- Identify Similarities & Differences