Creating To-Do Lists
Creating to-do lists is something we all do. Sticky notes and memo pads are a great invention, but there are ways to do it technologically so that you don't lose those stickies. You can retrieve them anywhere you are with your device. There are ways to be more productive with to-do lists. In this section, you will learn the right way to create your to-do lists so that you actually complete them!
Unfortunately we create lists and we either ignore them or don't complete them. In this session, you are going to learn how to become more productive by creating lists that you will actually complete. Creating lists is the first step in completing goals. If the list is actually written, keyed in or recorded on a device it has a better chance of being remembered and completed.
You can purchase sticky notes or memo pads to create to-do lists, but using technology to create your lists will allow you to access them with a device everywhere. You will also be able to sort, create multiple lists and prioritize tasks easily.
1. The first step is to read this article with 15 tips for How to Be More Productive: The Right Way to Create a To-Do list.
2. The next thing to do is to choose an application for creating lists. One of the most popular to-do list creators across all platforms is Wunderlist. Currently it is available on all devices. Once you have created an account with a login and password, you can begin creating lists. It is very easy to use, but if you would like step-by-step instructions, Wunderlist has a YouTube channel with videos for each platform.
Wunderlist's strengths is its ease of use and access to it from all your devices. You can set due dates, reminders, add a sub-task, add a note and file. You can also create a list that is shareable with others.
There are many apps available and if you already have one that you have downloaded or have access to on your device, you are welcome to use it instead of Wunderlist.
Some other popular apps are:
Todoist - similar to Wunderlist it is a to do list and task manager
Trello - is a project manager tool where you can create lists and tasks and assign them to others
3. Before you begin using an application you are going to want to read David Allen's Getting Things Done Five Steps ®. David Allen is a popular author, speaker and blogger who has trademarked the saying Getting Things Done. Creating lists is easy to do, but maintaining, prioritizing and completing them is how you become more productive.
4. Your task is to choose an application and create at least one list. You can make a to-do list for your classroom or set the goals for a project you are working on. After reading the two articles in this section, make sure to follow their tips and helpful suggestions for creating meaningful lists.
5. Share your list with your instructor with a reflection on how your list making has changed with the tips you read. Share how you completed the list and achieved your goals.
Move on to the Final Assignment
Addressing the ISTE Standards•T:
- Facilitate and Inspire Student Learning and Creativity a,b,c,d;
- Design and Develop Digital Age Learning Experiences and Assessments a,c;
- Model Digital Age Work and Learning a,b,c
- Promote and Model Digital Citizenship and Responsibility b
- Engage in Professional Growth and Leadership c
- Summarizing and Notetaking;
- Assigning Homework and Practice